Benefits of rye bread for your health
It is proven that, consumed daily - even more if it is whole or cereal-like rye - provides many essential nutrients for our health. Therefore, experts insist on the importance of not excluding this food from our usual diet.
Black and spongy texture -which makes it better preserved than other breads-, rye is the most used cereal for the preparation of bread next to wheat; and it is recommended not to contain refined flours and a lower glycemic index than the rest. But rye bread offers many other health benefits.
- Suitable for diabetics and athletes. It is very rich in carbohydrates (provides up to 48 grams per 100 grams of rye bread). In addition, the type of hydrate that contributes is of low glycemic index, an interesting property in the case of diabetics or athletes, since it helps to maintain stable sugar levels.
- Low in fat. Its fat content is very low - about 3 grams of fat per 100 grams of rye bread. In addition, not only is it important that it does not contribute much fat, but that the fat it contains is mainly unsaturated fat.
- It gives us an extra energy. It provides 10-12% of proteins of high nutritional value, much higher than that of most cereals, with the exception of oats. Highlights, mainly, its high content of lysine, an amino acid that is usually deficient in all cereals.
- It helps improve intestinal transit. Fiber, surely, is the most remarkable nutrient of rye bread, since it gives us great benefits for health. This bread is very rich in fiber, helping to improve intestinal transit, reduce hypertension and improve cholesterol levels. In addition, like all foods rich in fiber, it is recommended if you want to lose weight , as it provides a satiating effect that helps you not feel the need to constantly peck and have a feeling of fullness at all times.
- To avoid fatigue and improve sports performance. Thanks to it contains, above all, vitamins of the B complex, such as B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, and a small contribution of vitamin C. All of them are very important to achieve a higher performance in case of exercising and avoid fatigue. It is also very high its contribution in minerals (more than wheat bread), highlighting some as calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, sodium, potassium and magnesium.